CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Nii Shi Waiguoren Ma?"

"are you a foreigner?" those are the first words this 8 year old boy first uttered to me... without even hearing me speak or anything... just minding my own, taking in the medicinal spa at the pool we regularly swim at... I looked at him and he had the cutest smile and a very curious look in his face... So I replied "Dwei, wo shi" (Yes I am)... then he rattled on and on and on in Perfect English with nary an accent, and introduced himself... his name is YOYO, yes, as in Yoyo (i did asked and he confirmed that he likes to be called that)... I was AMAZED.... for the whole hour left taking in the various water massages and all, he basically accompanied me and talked with me just about everything.... asking questions about America... and swimming in General... then I got to meet his Grandparents, whom he accompanies to this pool - and from them I learned that he is TRULY a friendly boy, who for some reason, loves to talk with foreigners... He would just start speaking with foreigners in ENGLISH on buses and in their neighborhood, which happens to be an area where alot of EXPATS resides.. he also introduced me to other friends of his at the pool... introducing me as his "Meigueron de pengyou" (His American Friend)...

I was so taken in by this boy... his jolliness and attentiveness actually reminded me of myself when I was his age... and after we separated I was SAD that I did not have my camera with me and did not get to take his photo... and was sad that I may not ever get a chance again, as he told me school was beginning soon...

This morning, a couple of days from meeting Yoyo, we were back at the pool.. I made sure I brought my camera - just in case... i looked for him but did not see him... then I saw his Grandmother and we talked and I asked about him, to my delight she said that he was coming a bit later with his Grandfather... and he did! So I got to see him, chat again for a bit... and got to take his photo... after snapping him, he asked "do you not want a photo with me?" "Of course, yes..." and I asked, "who should we get to take our photo?".. TO my surprise, he immediately grabbed my camera... set the timer and position it just so we can be snapped together... WHAT A SMART KID!!! We both looked at our photos and laughed.... and then we said goodbyes... we parted with him saying: "See you next summer!" as he will not be coming back till the school year is over... as I was about to take off, he came running back and said: "well, maybe see you in winter, as I have winter vacation, too!"Looking back I am so HAPPY meeting people like him - young or old - does not really matter... what I love is the HAPPINESS and FRIENDLINESS in people... not afraid to reach out and get to know others.... no pretensions, no agendas, just innocent curiousness for one's fellow man.... all I could think of is that, more people should be like Yoyo... he will surely make a good role model for kids his generation and I hope that he will grow up successful... he already has an advantage - the fearlessness and openness to others...

5 comments:

Mary E. said...

This is the sweetest story, Rudi! It put a huge smile on my face. What a wonderful little boy. I hope you get to see him again in the winter.
~Mary

wtsrudi said...

Mary... am sure you would fall Head Over Heels for this boy too, if you got to meet him.... yeah, hopefully i run into him again... but if not, am just glad I got to meet him and enforces my belief in the YOUTH GENERATION!!!

SUE said...

Didn't get to read this until today. What an amazing encounter(s). Hope you do see Yoyo again.

ACRYLIQUE said...

What a kid!
Sweet! I think we're the same. :)

wtsrudi said...

Hi Sue & Pole.... yes it was an amazing meet for sure... am sure I will get to run into him again sometime....