CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Okay, so I have read a lot of really BAD REVIEWS on this newest installment of The Mummy Series - which was really disappointing me as I was sooooo looking forward to this one since reading the initial write ups when it first started shooting - I mean Jet Li, Ancient China, costumes, fantasy martial arts fighting, Xian Stone Warriors )- some of the things I really like and get excited about...

So maybe I should really be THANKFUL as I went with very low expectations, still having all the reviews going over my head.... I threw cautions to the wind and just went with an open mind.... and it worked... I was not too disappointed... well, if I compare it to the thrills, chills & antics of the first two installments - this one really pales in comparison... As a separate movie - it can actually stand.... and people who have no expectations nor have yet to see the first two - am sure will enjoy the ride....

The first 15 or so mins alone when the story of the Emperor was being told was, for me, very much worth the price of admission... their take on how the Xian Stone Warriors came about, was fun and fresh... The regal costumes and the battle gears, though not new to Chinese Films, is really awesome to behold for the first time. Seeing the duel, albeit short, between Michelle Yeoh & Jet Li in the latter part of the film was as exciting as those seen in movies like HERO (one of my All-time FAVE!), House Of Flying Daggers & Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon....

and though, am sure, a lot of people are missing the chemistry between Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weitz - I actually do not mind seeing Maria Bello step in... she is still one of the finest actresses around today in Hollywood - underrated and underused.... she added a much stronger presence in the role...

So I would still recommend seeing this movie.... as long as you see it with an open mind.... and erase all the bad reviews you have read already.... see Trailers in the Official Site here - The Mummy 3

2 comments:

SUE said...

I will probably wait until it comes to TV... Still like the first one the best... The last movie we saw was "X-Files: I Want to Believe". If you do go to see it, rememeber to stay until the very end...

wtsrudi said...

hiya sue.... for me it is still worth seeing in the biiiig screen.... have yet to see X FILES... will do when I get back to TAIPEI... am in MANILA now..... love to you and Cecilia....